Atlanta Pet Fair & Conference 2018
SPECIAL GROOMING CLASSES – RULES and REGULATIONS
Registration deadline: Thursday, February 22, 2018 5:00 pm PST
BEST FIRST-TIME COMPETITOR
Sponsored by: ConairPRO Dog and Cat
This competition is open to anyone that has never competed in a grooming contest and is in entry level. The contestants will be chosen from each entry level class. The contestant has to indicate on their competitor entry form that they are a first-time competitor and entry level competitor.
The entry level Judge will choose the best first time competitor from each entry level class competition. Each competitor chosen must return to the show ring at 3:45 pm on Saturday, March 10, 2018 for Best First Time Competitor awards starting at 4:00 pm on Saturday, March 10, 2018. At that time, the Best First Time in Show Judge will then choose the winner of the Best First Time Competitor award.
Best First-Time Competitor Prizes
All Registered First Time Competitors will receive (1) Conair Nail Grinder plus (2) accessory items and a Participation Ribbon.
Each Best First Time Competitor Winner will receive a Trophy.
The Best First Time Competitor in Show Winner will receive (1) Complete Set of ConairPRO products and a Trophy.
FIRST-TIME ATTENDEE DRAWING
Sponsored by: ConairPRO Dog and Cat
This drawing is open to any person who has never attended the Atlanta Pet Fair and Conference. Attendees must indicate on their registration form under the Survey Questions if they are a First-Time Attendee and the winner’s names will be auto drawn from the First-Time Attendee data list. The drawings will be held at the end of each Entry Level Grooming Contest (see schedule listed below). The winners’ names will be posted at the grooming stage. We will have a special First Time Attendee drawing at the “Best in Show First-Timer” awards on Saturday, March 10 at 4:00 pm.
Thursday March 8th at 1:15pm in Salon 1
Thursday March 8th at 5:30pm in Salon 1
Friday March 9th at 10:15am at Grooming Stage
Saturday March 10th at 10:00am at Grooming Stage
Saturday March 10th at 10:30am at Grooming Stage
Saturday March 10th at 3:00pm at Grooming Stage
Saturday March 10th at 4:00pm at Grooming Stage
First-Time Attendee Prizes
Each First Time Attendee Winner will receive a pair of ConairPRO Clippers
The Best First Time Attendee Winner will receive a mini-assortment of ConairPRO products
CREATIVE STYLING DOG & CAT COMPETITION
Sponsored by: Wag’n Tails Mobile Conversions
- The Creative Contest is an exhibition of colorfully staged, uniquely presented and exquisitely groomed dogs and cats using props and music for the presentation. Any purebred or mixed breed dog or cat can be used. This contest is open to a total of 20 participants. Electrical outlets will be limited to one per entry.
- The spa will be available to groom and do touch ups on your entry at 11:00am on Sunday, March 11, 2018 before contest starts.
- Competitors will be allowed 15 minutes to setup in designated 5’x 5’ areas and add props before Judging.
- All entries in this class must be completely groomed and finished before contest starts at 4:45pm.
- Exhibits exceeding 5’x 5’ will be disqualified.
Winners will be determined by:
- Originality and creativity of the design and theme
- Quality of styling techniques
- Sharpness and precision of clipper lines
- Sharpness and/or blending of color
- Quality of scissor finish
- Quality and harmony of props and decorations in the final presentation (maximum 2 minute presentation)
- Competitors must title their designs.
Competitors may color their dog or cat prior to Competition Start, using only safe, non-toxic products for pets & stylist. Competitors must list products used on their registration form. Music may also be used in presentation to Judge(s) but is the sole responsibility of the competitor. DVD presentations are not allowed.
Entry Level is for anyone that has not placed 1st or 2nd in a Creative Contest.
Open Division – Any Competitor may enter the Open Division
Creative Styling Champion – Will be selected from the two first place winners from each division.
Creative Styling Awards:
Championship Level – $1,000
Open: 1st Place – $500 2nd Place – $300 3rd Place – $200
Entry: 1st Place – $200 2nd Place – $150 3rd Place – $100
RESCUE RODEO COMPETITION
Co-Sponsored by Earthbath & Electric Cleaner Company
The intention of this class is to recognize the groomer’s ability to take whatever grooming job comes their way and create a clean, well- groomed dog using rescue dogs from shelters. The groomer will use his or her grooming expertise while handling these dogs with compassion. The top 5 placements will not only win a cash prize but the supplied dogs rescue organization will also take home the same cash donation.
Open to any and all groomers who can handle dogs of varying temperament and condition and know full well that the dog may not be 100% cooperative and may not be in very good condition. He or she must be willing to show their skill in every aspect of the grooming process. This contest is open to 40 participants.
You will be given a number for a dog from one of the rescue groups. Each will have been evaluated to determine if the dog is suitable for the competition environment. You may receive pure bred or mixed breed dogs. The dog’s entire grooming process will be completed in the ring and spa area.
Competition Time Frame- Rescue Rodeo
All dogs will be permitted 2-1/2 hours. In this time, you will do all prep work, bathe, dry and groom in designated areas.
You will be given staggered bathing times. Order of the bathing time will be determined by the contest staff. Judges will consider styling to suit the dog’s conformation, coat type and degree of difficulty. While others are in the spa area it is suggested you do as much preparation and grooming as possible prior to the bathing process.
The judges will evaluate the following:
- Styled to suit the dog’s conformation
- Grooming techniques that ensure the best outcome for the dogs coat type and starting condition
- Overall technical finish
- Handling of animals
- Degree of difficulty
- Change in overall appearance from start to finish
ON-SITE ADOPTION OFFERED BY SOME GROUPS!
Grooming tables and grooming arms will be furnished to contestants. Contestants must supply their own towels, grooming loop and equipment. Competitors from outside the USA may request to borrow a pair of clippers for the competition but must supply all blades. Send request to email@example.com by February 24th, 2018.
The judges will give a warning for the following violations. A second warning will result in disqualification.
Professional and Technical Warnings:
- Inappropriate attire
- Inappropriate language and attitude
- Skin abrasions such as clipper burns, nicks or cuts.
- Handstripping or plucking in a non-compassionate manner.
- Dog left unattended on grooming table
- Dog jumping or falling off grooming table
- Rough handling of dog
- Safety loop adjusted too high
- Lifting of dog by tail strictly prohibited
- Use of cell phones or radios and headsets
- Smoking in competition ring
- Standing on grooming tables
- Standing on chairs to groom or style
- Beverages not in spill-proof containers
- Coaching by anyone, at any time, during the competition
The judges will be permitted to confer during the competition, as well as at the end of the time limit during their deliberations. They may narrow the competition down to a group of 10, and then announce the top 5 placements. The judges’ decisions will be final and binding.
Rescue Rodeo Awards:
1st Place – $500, plus $500 donation to your rescue dog’s organization
2nd Place – $400, plus $400 donation to your rescue dog’s organization
3rd Place – $300, plus $300 donation to your rescue dog’s organization
4th Place – $200, plus $200 donation to your rescue dog’s organization
5th Place – $100, plus $100 donation to your rescue dog’s organization
MIXED SALON STYLING
Sponsored by: Melissa Verplank Enterprises
Acceptable Breeds: Any dog of mixed parentage, such as the Doodle or Cock-a-Poo. Any purebred dog distinctly NOT styled to breed profile. Examples: Poodle (No shaved feet, face or tail) Poodle in a Bedlington trim, Shih Tzu in a panda trim, Cocker in a suburban trim with scissored legs, Old English Sheepdog in a teddy bear, Asian Fusion Maltese. May use 2 bows for tie ups, small amounts of color (1 inch or less) may be added with chalk, blow pens or markers and limited to paws, ears, tail, and/or cheeks.
Divisions: Per – See General and GroomTeam Rules for more information.
17” and Under – 1:45
Over 17” – 2:00
Final Judging: Judge will evaluate the following: Balance, symmetry, uniformity and style of the trim. Mixed Salon Styling, the ability of the groomer to create the best possible profile for the dog chosen, according to his/her body type, structure and coat. For scissored dogs, the plush overall appearance without scissor marks, unevenness or unintended protruding coat. For Hand stripped and/or carded dogs, proper technique to achieve smooth and natural appearance. Clipper work should be smooth and free of irritation. The difficulty with regard to the amount of coat removed, difficulty of the coat type, texture, quality and quantity, the difficulty.
Mixed Salon Styling Awards:
Open: 1st Place – $300 2nd Place – $200 3rd Place – $100
Intermediate: 1st Place – $150 2nd Place – $100 3rd Place – $75
Entry: 1st Place – $100 2nd Place – $75 3rd Place – $50
RUNWAY ABSTRACT DESIGN CHALLENGE
Sponsored by: Glo-Marr Pet Products, Inc.
The Runway Abstract Design Challenge is to underscore the beauty of a “simple abstract design”, beautifully sculpted with minimal color and accessories. We are looking for stunning quality and artistry which would be appropriate for a client’s dog or cat and can be reproduced in the salon in one day.
- Entries used for this class must be groomed prior to competition check-in.
- Competitors will check-in at the Grooming Stage at 5:30pm and the competition will move over to Salon 6 at 6:00pm.
- Any purebred or mixed breed dog or cat may be used.
- Competitors must be ready for prejudging and the runway walk.
- Competitor’s attire should not detract from or overpower the groom; it can be complementary or an extension of the design.
- Before each presentation, the emcee will briefly interview the competitors for biographical information and design explanation.
- Runway music will be provided by the show producer.
- If using an entry from a previous class, Competitor must make a distinguishable difference in the design.
Open Division – Entry is open to ALL competitors
Runway Abstract Awards
1st Place – $500 2nd Place – $300 3rd Place – $150